September 22, 2006

“We have art to save ourselves from the truth.” Nietzsche


what I've tried for myself - and works. read the whole "so you want to be creative?' by hugh macleod here


1. Ignore everybody. (YES!)


2. The idea doesn't have to be big. It just has to change the world. (you and me, baby! you, me, and the power-puff girls)


4. If your big plan depends on you suddenly being "discovered" by some big shot, your plan will probably fail. (don't wait for some else to say you're 'great'; this is a chance you'll have to take)


7. Keep your day job. (I know; this is not what i did; but I'm not the best example to follow; honest! I got away with so many things in my life... the risks I take are always planned, I know myself well, and I'm lucky... I haven't made this work yet)


8. Companies that squelch creativity can no longer compete with companies that champion creativity. (yeah, sure...aaah... that's why i resigned.. i couldn't take the constant pressure to be creative, inventive, smart; maybe we'll get there someday)


9. Everybody has their own private Mount Everest they were put on this earth to climb. (told ya so; see this and this :-)


11. Don't try to stand out from the crowd; avoid crowds altogether. (it's a figure of speach, dip-wit! it doesn't mean you're 'better' than everybody else, just that you need to do your own thing : just because lots of people do something, doesn't make it a good idea; actually...)


12. If you accept the pain, it cannot hurt you. (aaah: very zen, or something; No, not really. pain is pain whichever way you take it: it will hurt. but, take it like a wo/man. don't run cos the it will only stab you in the back - and that hurts even more)


14. Dying young is overrated. (but, as I said, it makes me warm inside knowing I'll always have a Plan B; of course, you wait till the next morning. always wait...)


16. The world is changing. (no kidding)

17. Merit can be bought. Passion can't .

18. Avoid the Watercooler Gang. (i.e. people who tell you to 'calm down', 'take it easy', 'get back in line'.... tell them to fuck off - my way; they don't take it well; and then I have second-thoughts about it ... maybe they're right, why fix if it ain't broken? why change at all?.... or, you can try the gogu kaizer way)


21. Selling out is harder than it looks. (not sure about this one; i guess you need to offer something of value)


22. Nobody cares. Do it for yourself. (... or do it for me, if it makes you feel any better; they don't care)


26. Write from the heart. (yes: it's your emotions that will come through and win your public over; they don't care about what you say...)


27. The best way to get approval is not to need it. (yap. i stil need it. badly - that's why you are the only one reading this)


28. Power is never given. Power is taken. (this is a dangerous, two ways sword - in the wrong hands (ethics) ... yes, 'm looking at You, hitler-wannabe!)


29. Whatever choice you make, The Devil gets his due eventually. (they do say that money is evil; so if you starve to death...; only trying to help here...)

...
very important:



bette davis said that "the hardest thing to do when you are successful, is finding someone to be happy for you".

It's a good thing to make really sure who your friends are (before you get there): people who like / love you for who you are, not what you can do. When gods fall, their fans simply chose other gods to worship.


Something I learned the hard way: in the most important moments of your life, you are always alone.